Sunday, November 15, 2009

Iron Girl 5K Run 2009

This morning I ran in my third Iron Girl Run in Tempe Town Lake. I ran in 2005 with my friend Ann and then again on 2007 with her. In 2006 and 2008 I was pregnant when the race was going on so I didn't run. SO I guess that means next year I won't run because I will be pregnant. We'll see?!?

The starting line and finish line
And their off...Ben said I run like Phoebe on Friends
The race was sponsored by AFLAC so I got a little DUCK to give to Lukey to play with
There I am coming through the finish line
I was listening to the song by The BACK EYED PEAS where Fergie sings "I can't go much further than this" I was laughing to myself because that was exactly what I was thinking. Ben put music on my iPod last night for me to run to. I think he was sending me subliminal messages. Ha Ha!
I ran straight to my babies I was so happy to see them Will is even wearing my medal.
I just love those boys so much! Ben too!
My friend Ann and I after the race


I just want to thank Remicade the drug I am on for Chron's Disease. After I had Luke I got really sick and was told I had Chron's Disease and was put on medication that didn't work for me. When Luke was 6 month old my doctor told me I needed to do something different and should go on this drug REMICADE, it would require me to get a drug infusion every 8 weeks but she was certain that it would help me. I was in my mind not that sick and thought that was too intense of a drug and did not want it. I tried a million other things and read tons of book and diets to make myself better I was obsessed and in the meantime I was getting sicker and feeling worse everyday.
Feeling so bad that getting out of bed was hard and taking care of a baby was almost impossible. I remember my husband carrying me out of bed and bringing me to the bathroom and then giving me a bath because I was too sick to do it myself. I was at the point where I was losing a pound a day and my days with Luke would be me and him on the floor together in the living room or in the bathroom thank goodness he couldn't crawl yet.
Chron's is bloody diarrhea with horrible cramping. My intestines were so inflammed and ulcerated I finally had enough and called my doctor and she directed me to go directly to the ER. It was April 14th, Luke turned 8 months old on this day. My mother had come in from Chicago to help me and was taking care of Luke and myself while Ben was at work. So my mom, Luke, and I walked into the ER, and I fainted. I was admitted and spent 4 days in the hospital my potassium was extremely low. I had a colonoscopy the next morning my doctor told me my intestines were very angry she couldn't believe the condition I was in and told me I was on the road to recovery. I was now at this point begging for Remicade the drug I refused to take 2 months earlier.
I got my first infusion later that day I could not believe that this drug helped me the way it did. Within the next 24 hours I felt like a new woman I was so happy. I promised to be better at everything a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, everything was going to be better from me. Health is everything and without it you have nothing I couldn't be the mom I wanted to be to Luke when I was sick I was not the wife I wanted to be to Ben when I was sick. I was so grateful to be feeling better all I could think about is how I am going to live my life so much better once I start feeling better. I got another infusion 2 weeks later and then after that I started going every 8 weeks. I had another colonoscopy in July of this year and the results were great I had no signs of Chron's in my system at all. There is no cure for Chron's but if you are on the right medication you can put it to rest. Mine is in remission I have been on Remicade for a year and a half now and I just love this drug for saving my life and making me healthy again. My mother was a life saver to be here to take care of Luke too while I was in the hospital.
Today when I was running in my race all I could think about was how horrible it was to be sick . How blessed I am that this wonderful drug works for me. I got to run today and feel great doing it well maybe not my knees but everything else felt great. Thank you to my wonderful husband who took care of me the way he did when I was sick I love you so much you are the best man I know and I am so glad you are all mine baby.
My run this morning = HEALTH
I am so thankful for my HEALTH!!

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

Carly, I am so glad that you are better! I remember when you were so sick, it was awful. Ben was so upset and worried. I think you are one of the strongest women I know, to overcome an illness like that. I know the medicine helps tons, but a lot of it is you too. You are such a dedicated mom and wife, its inspiring! I'm glad that my fantastic boss has such a fantastic wife I get to be friends with too! xoxo